Examples of how to save on your water bill
Everyone wants to know how to cut down on their water bills. Saving water will not only help you to save money but will also help you to save the environment, which is another thing that many of us has been interested in doing. Fortunately, there are some tips to reduce the amount of water used in your house - just change your habits and stay aware of water use. The following tips can help you to conserve water and save money.
Tips to save water in the kitchen
- Use your dishwasher because it takes less water to wash dishes.
- Use your dishwasher only when it is full.
- Install a faucet aerator in the kitchen to reduce the flow of water through the faucets.
- Heat a kettle of water for different small uses instead of drawing hot water from the tap.
- Keep drinking water in the fridge.
- Compost food waste or throw it in the trash.
- Do not pre-rinse dishes just scrape food waste from dishes and let dishwasher do the rest.
Tips to save water in the bathroom
Tips to save water in the laundry
- Reduce the number of showers and tub baths you take.
- Use low-flow Shower Head. If you use a low-flow shower head, then you consume about 2.5 gallons per minute less.
- Take shorter showers.
- Repair faucet leaks because 1 leaky faucet can waste 500 - 1000 gallons of water a year.
- Turn the water off while you brush/shave.
- Install a faucet aerator in your bathroom lavatories.
- Use plastic 'dams' in your commode tanks to cut down the amount of water used with each flush.
- Don't flush the commode unnecessarily.
- Only wash full loads.
- Wear clothes more than once because some clothes can be worn many times between washings.
- Wash small pieces of laundry by hand.
- Tips to save water in the garden.
- Collect rain Water for plants.
- Water your garden, lawn, and outdoor plants only when required.
- Use a 'soaker' hose instead of a sprinkler. Less water is needed when a 'soaker' hose is used.
- Choose drought resistant grasses and plants which can survive on less amounts of water.
Miscellaneous tips to save water
- Turn off water faucets completely after each use.
- Repair dripping faucets.
- Repair all leaking water pipes
- Don't allow children play with the water hose.
- Insulate hot water pipes to prevent heat loss.
- Place your water heater close to the area in which the most hot water is used.
- Turn off the water supply when you leave your home for more than a day.