- Begin by asking the pupils to recite or sing the rhyme 'Ten Little Indians.'
- Ask the pupils to recite the rhyme with action using their fingers. Ask: What words describe the Indians? How many Indians are there?
- Ask the pupils to count with their fingers.
- Explain that the early people counted things around them using their fingers, too.
- Ask the pupils to add and subtract using their fingers.
- Show an abacus. Demonstrate how to add and subtract using the abacus.
- Let pupils take turns in performing addition and subtraction using the abacus.
- Introduce the term device. Explain that the abacus is a device that helps them do things easier and faster.
- Discuss other devices that they use to do things easier and faster.
- Discuss how computing devices developed through the years with the help of enlarged pictures from the book.
- Instruct the pupils to match the picture of each computing device with its inventor.
- Draw a time line on the board. Have the pupils place the pictures in their proper places in the timeline.
- Guide the pupils in doing Activity in their text book.