Business to business letter of complaint billing error
Billing errors happen, but you don't have to pay for them. A letter of complaint can be far more effective than a verbal complaint, because the letter goes into the system.
There are a few basics to complaints about billing:
- Get your own facts straight
- Provide a comparative reference for the reader
- Give a correct amount payable, so it can be checked
This is perhaps the archetypal business letter.
You have to make sure your own figures are accurate, and that you can support your claim properly.
To support your claim:
- Use the billing party's own figure and quoted business terms. (Attach a copy for their information. It does make a point.)
- Give a good working set of figures and sub totals.
In this case, we're talking about an actual complaint regarding the bill, not simply disputing the bill.
Your complaint should be professional, but clearly phrased and objective.
You may wish to complain about the failure to provide proper itemization, or whatever, but stick to the main points about the basis of the complaint and the amount payable.
In this example, a retailer has a complaint about receiving an incorrect bill, but it's not the first time this has happened. The complaint is that the wholesaler isn't getting his act together. Despite the nuisance factor, the retailer has decided to make himself clear.
Re: Billing error, October Invoice No. 235549
Please be advised that the above invoice contains serious discrepancies, as follows:
These figures for our order are derived from your October 2010 catalog:
|200 ||ABC face washers||100|
|200 ||ABC bath towels||1000|
|500 ||ABC soap racks||1000|
|1000||GoodEWipe paper towels rolls||1000|
|500||ABC Napkins (pkts)||1000|
|1000||Wizz scourers (pkts)||1000|
|Total|| || $5100|
Our bill was calculated as follows:
|QTY.||PRODUCT||CATALOG PRICE ($)|
|200|| ABC face washers||200|
|200|| ABC bath towels||2000|
|500 ||ABC soap racks||1000|
|1000|| GoodEWipe paper towels rolls||2000|
|500||ABC Napkins (pkts) ||1500|
|1000||Wizz scourers (pkts)||1500|
|Total|| || $8200|
Please be advised this discrepancy between advertised prices and actual charges is quite unacceptable.
- This bill will not be paid until a full itemized list of correct charges is provided.
- An explanation of the discrepancies, in writing, signed by the senior manager is required for authorization of payment.
Your immediate attention to these matters is requested.
Please also note our previous letters in regard to billing errors, dated 31 March and 17 June 2010. We are currently reviewing our future purchasing options.
- This text is intended for advisory and guideline purposes only.
- Any business letter can become a legal document, so check your content properly before issuing.
- Any executable or statutorily defined document should be checked for compliance with legal requirements, and you should seek legal advice regarding its contents.