Consumer letter of complaint: Product quality
Consumers may complain regarding any product which is unfit for the purpose for which it was purchased. That means that the product breaks, fails to function properly, or is unwearable, etc.
Generally speaking, you're entitled to a replacement, or a refund under these circumstances. The sellers may offer alternative purchases, depending on their policies.
Laws vary between countries, but basic consumer laws are very similar. You can make a formal complaint to your local consumer protection agency regarding any purchase of this kind if you don't get a refund or replacement.
Note: You may NOT make a complaint, if:
- The product was damaged after purchase.
- The product was used improperly.
- Attempts were made to 'fix' the product prior to returning it to the seller. (There's no way of telling if the product was defective.)
How to make a complaint about product quality
Consumer protection agencies require specific information to investigate complaints of this type.
You should check with the agency first regarding the case.
In some cases, a successful complaint may not be possible.
Your letter must include:
- Name of the seller
- Date of purchase
- Amount paid
- Description of the product
- Description of the nature of the complaint
- Information regarding requests for refund or replacement
The example below relates to an electrical appliance. Electrical appliances are also covered by formal product safety standards in many countries. Defective products may be liable for prosecution.
Dear Sir or Madam:
Product quality complaint
I recently purchased an electric frying pan. The frying pan failed to operate at all, and didn't even get warm.
Product name: EZ Fry
Manufacturer: Happy Pans GmbH Hamburg
Retailer: Bulk Electrical Discounts
Date of purchase: 22 May 2016
I requested a refund from the retailer, and was refused on the grounds that the item was on sale. This is not a lawful reason to refuse a refund.
I request a formal investigation of this matter.
Copy of bill of sale
Copy of product information sheet
Contact information for the retailer
- This text is intended for advisory and guideline purposes only.
- Any business letter can become a legal document, so check your content properly before issuing.
- Any executable or statutorily defined document should be checked for compliance with legal requirements, and you should seek legal advice regarding its contents.